23.10.12

DIY Book Ends


So this was my little DIY project for the week. I have way too many (and yet not enough to fill my bookshelf) children's books and so I thought I would make these little book ends.

Heres how:
1. Buy two matching or mismatching little ceramic statues at your dollar store. I found these little owl ones. I'm not really into the whole owl thing but it was either this or a Santa statue. :) Be sure to choose one that has a hole in the bottom.
2. Spray paint said statues.
3. Let dry.
4. Fill with rocks.
5. Cut a piece of cardboard to fill the hole and hot glue felt on the bottom.

*Disclaimer: As excited as I was about this working for my kids books, alas it only holds up a few books at a time. But I saw another cute idea for children's bookends where use use a plastic toy (like a dinosaur or other animal) and glue it to a brick and then spray paint the whole thing and put felt on the bottom of the brick. I didn't do this because 1. I didn't have a brick and 2. My dollar store didn't have any animals larger than a few inches. But I think it would work better doing it with the brick.

I guess I only spent two dollars on this craft and it adds to my fall decor but they didn't really work so great. At least all my readers (cause there are so many) can learn from my mistakes. :)

As always,
Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment